If there is someone that does not deserve the stress that we’re all collectively sharing, it’s mom. Mother’s day 2020 will surely be one for the records, but social distancing shouldn’t mean that mom won’t get flowers this year.
Think about it! DIY tulips won’t only keep social distancing to a minimum, but they will also serve as a commemoration of this historical event.
This tulip amigurumi pattern is part of the Bulb and Bud pattern that can be purchased right here. But if you have an alternative idea involving tulips only, I leave you with this free pattern 🙂
Free Tulip Bulb Crochet Pattern:
The definitions for all crochet abbreviations used can be found here.
- 4.50mm Crochet Hook
- Medium Weight Yarn (Sugar ‘n Cream in “White”, Crafter’s Secret in “Hot Pink”, Sugar ‘n Cream in “Hot Green”)
- > 2oz Polyester Fiberfill
- Yarn needle (metal recommended)
- Stitch Marker (improvised markers: paper clip, bobby pin, piece of different color yarn)
- 10mm Safety eyes and their backings (for bulb)
Worked in the round. Using white or beige yarn:
- Round 1: MC, 6sc (6) set your marker, Sl st into the first stitch and ch 1.
- Round 2: 6 sc inc (12), sl st and ch 1.
- Round 3: (1sc, 1 sc inc) x6 (18), sl st and ch 1.
- Round 4: (1sc, 1 sc inc, 1sc) x6 (24), sl st and ch 1.
- Round 5: (3sc, 1 sc inc) x6 (30), sl st and ch 1.
- Round 6-9: Sc all around (30) (4 rounds), st and ch 1 at the end of each round. Place 10mm safety eyes between rounds 7 and 8 and 6 stitches apart.
- Round 10: (3sc, 1 sc dec) x6 (24), sl st and ch 1.
- Round 11: (1sc, 1 sc dec, 1sc) x6 (18), sl st and ch 1.
- Round 12: Sc all around (18), sl st and ch 1.
- Round 13: (1sc, 1 sc dec) x6 (12), sl st and ch 1. Stuff with fiber fill
- Round 14: Sc all around (12), sl st and ch 1.
- Round 15: (1sc, 1sc dec) x4) (8), sl st and ch 1.
- Round 16: Sc all around. (8), sl st and fasten off.
Switch to green yarn, from here on you should stuff the stem as you go:
- Round 17-28: Sc all around (8) (12 rounds), st and ch 1 at the end of each round. Fasten off leaving the stem open.
Using black embroidery floss draw a “v” shaped mouth between the bulb’s eyes, it should be about 1.5 sc wide:
Using your prefered color for the flower (I chose hot pink because my mom loves these tulips in specific):
- Round 1: MC, 6sc (6) set your marker
- Round 2: 6 sc inc (12)
- Round 3-5: Sc all around (12) (3 rounds)
- Round 6: (1 sc, 1sc dec) x4 (8)
- Round 7-9: Sc all around (8) (3 rounds)
- Round 10: 4 sc dec (4), fasten off and hide the end.
Repeat this process four times to get four petals in total.
- Ch 5, skip the first chain and sc 3 across, sc 5 into the last chain.
Keep working on the UNDERSIDE of the chains as if making a U-turn.
- Sc 3 across, ch1 and turn your work.
- Sc 5, sc 3 into the same stitch, and sc 5 across, ch1 and turn your work.
- Sc 6, sc 3 into the same stitch, and sc 6 across, ch1 and turn your work.
- Fasten off leaving a 6 inch tail for sewing.
Overlap one of the petals over the bulb center and sew it to the base as pictured. Overlap the remaining 3 petals on top of the other until the bulb center is covered. Once all petals have been sewn to the base, sew the base to the top of the bulb’s stem using yarn that matches the flower color.
And you’re done! This completes one tulip, you can make as many as you want, change the colors around, or embroider funny faces. Maybe pick your mom’s favorite color for the flower! 🙂
Thank you so much for choosing my pattern!
If you liked this design please consider leaving a tip in the Tip Jar below (but don’t feel obligated to!)
[tipjarwp mode=”button” link_text=”Tip the Crocheter” open_style=”in_place”]
I’D LOVE TO SEE YOUR PROJECTS! IF YOU HAVE PROGRESS PICTURES OR WANT TO SHARE YOUR FINISHED PROJECT PLEASE TAG NANO STITCHES ON SOCIAL MEDIA
You may sell your product providing pattern credit to Nano Stitches on Instagram, Etsy, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Ravelry or any other social media in which you advertise. The pattern itself shall not be copied. If you sell the items you must use your own pictures for advertising. If you need assistance during the process or find someone else selling my pattern feel free to contact me on social media or email me at [email protected]